Saturday, June 13, 2009

Letter to my unborn babies

To my darling boys

Isn’t it amazing: that I know you’re two perfect darling little boys? It wasn’t so long ago that no-one knew for sure whether their babies were boys or girls until they were born.

Your Daddy and I were just too too excited and impatient to wait that long. We wanted to know as soon as we possibly could (around about week 19 of pregnancy!) so that we could look forward to meeting you even more than we already were.

The minute we found out we were having you we loved you. I think we loved you even before you were made. We loved you the moment we started thinking about you.

Do you know that from almost the first moment I met your Dad I knew he was going to be a wonderful father. There is such kindness in his eyes and in his heart. You’ll get to see that for yourself soon.

I can’t describe the feeling when we found out we were expecting you both! Two precious bundles. We felt doubly lucky. We always thought it would be perfect to have two little babies together. You’ll each have a best mate for life. You’ll each have someone to learn, grow, share and experience life with.

Being pregnant is a truly amazing thing. I never knew my body could perform such miracles. I’m much stronger than I ever knew. I know I can achieve anything I set my mind to now. You’ve brought that out in me and I’ll always be thankful.

Lately, I can feel and see you wriggling about. I stare down at my tummy for what feels like hours on end, waiting for your next move. It’s a wonderful, strange, and exciting feeling. One of the most special times so far was just a couple of nights ago when your dad felt you kick! He had placed his hand over my tummy – eagerly waiting – and then it happened! You should have seen the look on his face. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such tender love and amazement in his eyes like that.

I dream about you all the time. I see our lives together like an old-fashioned movie reel – snapshots of what’s to come. I think about you all the time. Seriously, all the time. I talk about you all the time too. I just can’t make space in my head for anything else. And I don’t want to. You gorgeous little critters and your dad are all I need to feel perfectly happy.

The four of us are about to embark on the biggest adventure of our lives. We’ve never been parents: although we’ve imagined it for such a long time. There’s so much to learn! We’re doing our best to prepare, but I think most of the learning will happen ‘on the job’. I’m sure we’ll muddle our way through together.

I can’t help but wonder who you’ll look most like. If you'll have your dad's blonde hair; my freckles; maybe both? Whether you’ll love playing and swimming in your backyard. If you’ll like cricket. If you’ll love music. Whether I can learn all the rules of rugby in time….

People often ask me what dreams I have for you. I’m afraid they’re not particularly detailed! But here are the four things I wish for you. I think if you find these things, you will be well on your way to having a wonderful life.

I hope you will be kind. Kindness is such an important thing. This world needs all the kindness it can get.

I hope you will be tolerant – of people and of differences. Differences are the threads that hold this remarkable fabric of life together. Don’t be afraid of them. Learn about them. Embrace them. Enjoy them, and enrich your life with them.

I hope you will be happy. This world is a beautiful place, and having you two in it will make it even more beautiful. I hope you see that. I hope you see the wonder of every day and enjoy it. Happiness can be found in the tiniest of things.

I hope you know love. I hope you understand how much we love you both. I hope you love each other and importantly that you love yourselves. And I hope you find love in this world. A heart filled to overflowing with love is one of the most beautiful things you can ever experience.

We can’t wait to meet you. We can’t wait to cuddle you. And we can’t wait to show you how much we love you.

Your Mama

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your pregnancy :) I am 32 weeks myself with my 2nd boy on his way. Boys are the best. Enjoy this special time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! You've just made my day :)