Saturday, August 8, 2009

Keeping the sanity


There seems to be two schools of thought regarding bedrest.

There is the "omg, enjoy it while you can" camp, which tends to come from mums with little ones, and I can hear the exhaustion in their voices, the desperate need for sleep, and the yearning for some time to themselves.

The other is the "bedrest sucks arse, you poor thing, you're going to lose your mind", which tends to come from others who have 'been there, done that', and hated it.

I expect the reality falls somewhere in the middle. But I am determined not to let it get the better of me. I have come up with a three-pronged approach to keeping me sane:


Every day, do something tangibly useful to our lives. This might be ordering the groceries online, paying our bills, organising people to come and help with cooking/cleaning, finally organising all our photos, etc

Every day, do something baby related. By this I mean reading some books about babies or child development, buying anything else we need, keep going with my Belly Diaries and letters to these little ones.

Every day, do something indulgent for me. Mani, pedi, body scrub, facial, hair treatment, hmmmmm

I'm hoping this will balance out my days. That I'll be able to relax but still feel useful. I need to still be able to contribute to our home as much as I can (I don't want T to have to be responsible for absolutely everything. He already works so hard and such long hours it just breaks my heart to think of him having to shoulder responsibility for everything in our lives), but I recognise how important it is that I take this bed rest situation seriously.

So, that's my plan. We'll see how it goes.

I've been home for one day, and already I've done an online shop, organised my mama and sisters to come over once a week to clean, chatted to my beautiful mother-in-law about bringing around some dinners, and I've painted my fingers, toes, and made myself a brown sugar and vanilla body scrub.

Ah, I may need to slow down a little ...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, just wanted to pop by and see how you and your littles are going. Hope you are taking it easy. Take care. Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super bust but always try to get the right amount of sleep- if I don't the next day is a waste

    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! You've just made my day :)