Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wash, dry, fold, repeat

I hate doing laundry. Hate it. Pathologically. If I didn't prefer wearing clean clothes to dirty ones (or for the health hazards that might eventually accompany such a lifestyle choice), I think I'd find reasons to never do it ever again.

I have actually offically given up the iron. I refuse to do it. I'm useless at it, I hate doing it, and I don't see why I should have to do something I really really don't want to do when there are perfectly acceptable alternatives. T's work shirts go to the drycleaner. They all have french cuffs, so there's no way I can be trusted with those.

I also buy clothes that don't need ironing. Unfortunately this means I tend to wear a lot of Bonds yoga pants.... but whatever works, right?

I've become an excellent excellent pegger. Whenever I'm hanging out the washing and wishing it would be over, I just remind myself how much I hate ironing (waaay more than I hate pegging) and remember that good pegging can practically eliminate the need to ever get that iron out.

And if I really really really have to iron something, then I either try to arrange it for when my mum is visiting (ha!), or I take it to the dry cleaners. If it's an absolute emergency and there is truly nothing I can do about it, I bribe T :)

So why am I finding myself googling 'laundry design'??? I must be mad. Or not. Regardless of how much I hate doing it, it must be done. So why not make it as streamlined as possible. I'm sure that part of the reason I find it so tiresome currently is because nothing has a home. I have piles of clean and dirty washing on the floor. The baskets are never where I need them. I don't realise when I've run out of powder. I can never put my hand on a coathanger and have to run up and down the stairs until I finally have everything I need.

A little bit of organisation can't hurt, right?

Enter the Ikea Antonius Wall Upright. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's inoffensive. It has hanging space, and folding space, and storage space and basket space.



Off to Ikea I go!

3 comments:

  1. Nothing like an organised laundry. My Mum was appalled the other day when I told her I rarely iron :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is, I kinda LIKE doing laundry... well, the hanging out in the bright sunshine bit, anyway. But I hate bringing the washing in. I hate folding. And i HATE putting away. And I too, need a laundry redesign desperately!! Bunnings has a great flatpak laundry system I'm going to put in when I have the energy (and $$) and Im going to do the tiling myself. It even has a built in laundry fold-out hamper Until then, I dream......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have an organized laundry- I drool over Howard's Storage catalogs, with the individual baskets for each family member and the long, long folding bench.

    Maybe it would entice me to deal with the washing on a regular basis, rather than having one massive 'dirty' pile and another massive 'clean' pile constantly!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! You've just made my day :)