Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013


Hello 2013. It's so lovely to see you. You and me? We're going to have a beautiful year. I can feel it already.

I'm not really one for new year resolutions. I used to be, when I was much younger - the 'lose 5kg by my birthday' sort that made me feel bad when I failed at them. I think, on the whole, we set too many, they tend to be unrealistic and laden with too much guilt when we don't achieve them.

I do like to think about how to bring more positivity into my life though, and the start of a new year is as good a time as any to remember why it's important. Actually, I've been thinking a lot about it lately, and for 2013 I choose:

happiness, health and simplicity



I think choosing to be happy is one of the most powerful things you can do to take control of your life. Happiness doesn't always just happen. Like all good things, you have to work at it, recognise it, nourish it, and celebrate it. I'm pretty good at being grateful, but like most people, I sometimes get a bit bogged down in the mundane. Lately, I have found happiness easy to find - because I'm consciously taking notice of the little things that happen each day that bring a smile to my face - so I'm going to make a real effort to continue to do just that this year, and choose happiness.

I need to prioritise health this year too. I haven't had a particularly stellar year, health-wise. I don't eat enough good food. I don't exercise enough. I haven't been putting my health first. But I must. I'm no use at all to anyone if I'm not well. But I think most importantly, I want to feel energised instead of exhausted.

Simplicity has been luring me for some time. I'm at the point where the sheer amount of stuff we own makes me feel quite nauseous. This 'just buy a new one' world we live in makes me feel ashamed, and more than a bit ungrateful. I don't need more stuff. In fact I want less! I need to better appreciate what we have, and put it to use. Purposeful, meaningful, beautiful; that's my new test.

We did a simple Christmas this year. Some pickings from the garden. Some home-made clay tags.  Potted gardenias. Presents wrapped with brown paper, paper doilies, and stamped. A simple baked ham. A couple of fresh herby salads. Done leisurely, happily, and with love. Enjoyment and happiness was the only possible outcome. There's a lot to be said for that. Simplicity celebrated.



I want to teach my babies they don't need 'stuff'. I want to teach them to use their imaginations and their hands. I want to be strong enough and confident enough in my parenting ability that I can choose the simple life and know that it will stand them in good stead.

And for a bit of self-development, I want to learn how to use our camera properly so I can take beautiful pictures of my fortunate life.




1 comment:

  1. Happy new year lovely! Your words to focus on in 2013 are wise choices. I'm in the middle of reading The Happiness Project and am taking inspiration from that to make changes and kick start things around here. Health is a big focus for me this year too, I definitely need to boost my energy levels.

    Love your Christmas table too. Wishing you a fun-filled, joyous year ahead xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! You've just made my day :)