Friday, November 29, 2013

Can Christmas be simple?

Source
I hauled the tree out today, dusted off the decorations - and BAM, just like that, my clear, clean, serene home suddenly felt out.of.control.

I've always been quite restrained when it comes to Christmas decorating. I don't have loads of knick-knacks that are brought out just for the month of December. I don't change tea-towels or dinner services. I have only one tree, and I stick to a simple colour palette.

This year though, I'm challenging myself to pare it back even more: a simply decorated tree, a single dining table vignette, and twinkly lights (of course). That's all. It's enough.

I love this time of year, I do. I love the carols, the twinkling lights, the festive cheer. So that's what I'm focusing on. Gifts this year will be simple, home-made where possible (and practical), and I will do my best to choose quality over quantity, needs over wants, and experiences over things.

I want my boys to learn that the real magic of Christmas is in its spirit: the way people slow down, smile more, are more aware, practice charity, find joy in giving, and appreciate one another.



I think last year I started getting it right. I loved this simple table I set for our traditional Christmas Eve family get-together.

And I can't wait for tonight.  Decorating the tree is always so special for me. I put on some carols, pour a glass of champagne and adore every minute of it.

(I'm going early [we are a 1st of  December family usually], but if I don't do it tonight, it won't get done until the end of next week, and that would be a travesty.)



1 comment:

  1. Great post Jen, I eased back on gifts for the children in a huge way last year. I make a bigger deal on the lead up, decorations, the tree, Christmas carols and the big thing of being with family and eating lovely food. The thing that the boys were most excited about last year was...........their Jelly Bean candy cane. Go figure. I find with us not watching TV helps, no Christmas advertising. I'm starting with the decorations etc this week. My Mr H is not a fan, which always makes me want to go even more crazy xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! You've just made my day :)